Water Valley Lodge part two

Jake was waiting on us in the dining hall. Anglers and hunters were filing in. The fresh coffee was as good as the fellowship. Talk of bass, turkey, and quail filled the morning.

Jake drew a quick map on how to get to the ramp. He was jammed up with hunting duties so he was unable to join us. After a couple of missed turns, we found our fishing destination. Peter Gross of Game & Fish publications was my guest. Game & Fish features individual magazines for over 40- states.

Peter’s fishing stories entertained this angler between the 20 bass we caught. The pattern changed from the day before. The fish wanted the wind to blow into the bays. The time slipped by too fast. We headed back to the lodge for lunch.

The hearty lunch included a homemade chicken salad sandwich and all the warm chocolate chip cookies we could hold. Dr. Todd Kuhn of Outdoor Life fame began to pace back and forth in the parking lot. He was ready to go fishing. Naturally, I teased him. “I thought you wanted to take a nap first,” I said with my best poker face. “Are you kidding me?” he nearly shouted back. My smile gave me away.

We hit the water with vigor. Lighting crackled in the distance. Rain fell off and on as a front approached. The bulk of the storm passed north of us. We fished harder. Over 40 bass ate up the plastic lizards rigged with the Daiichi CopperHead Hook. Todd’s largest was nearly five pounds. We shot a bunch of photos and headed back.

Todd with one of the many bass he caught and released.

Todd with one of the many bass he caught and released.

P.J. Perea and Lisa took “stringer shots” in front of one of 2014 Chevy trucks on display. P.J. jumped in to help clean the fish. He worked his magic with the fillet knife for nearly an hour. Jake and I cleaned the boat.

Another fine meal followed. A buffet of fried bass, coleslaw, and hushpuppies awaited us. Laughter and fellowship filled the air.

We slept in a little the following morning. A full breakfast of eggs, grits, and wild hog sausage greeted us in the dining hall. The “cat-head” biscuits were a special treat.

John Jacob and Gaddy were waiting to go fishing. John went first. We rigged plastics for the bass. The pattern changed yet again. The fish wanted coves, without wind. The bite was slower but we managed a dozen fish.

Gaddy jumped in the boat and we repeated the process of rigging up with plastics. Jake and Pia fished from the bank. It was wonderful to see the whole family fish together. A fitting end to a trip to Water Valley Lodge.Jake and Gaddy Utsey 4 FB Blessings, -tj

About TJ Stallings

45-year tackle industry veteran Marketing and Crazy Ideas at TTI-Blakemore Fishing Group (Home of Road Runner Lures and six hook brands including Tru-Turn, Daiichi, XPoint, Team Catfish, Mr. Crappie and StandOUT Hooks.) Home of Gun Protect. The opinions expressed in this blog are those of TJ Stallings and not necessarily those of TTI-Blakemore.
This entry was posted in Fishing and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s